PARA's Response to COVID-19
March 13, 2020, 9:38am
April 30, 2020, revised at 9:00 a.m.
Your health and safety are our priority. In an effort to keep all of you updated on a very fluid situation, visit PARA Tuscaloosa in social media for sports drills and fitness classes and www.tcpara.org for the most current PARA information.
All openings and closings are subject to change. We are working in cooperation with recommendations based on our ADPH officials, state and local governments, and appreciate your understanding and cooperation. We look forward to the future when we can reopen and return to servicing you with exciting recreational and cultural opportunities.
We appreciate that exercise and getting out in the fresh air are important and PARA is happy to maintain and open parks and green space for your use and enjoyment. We need your help to keep parks open during this time by observing group gatherings of fewer than 10 people and maintaining a social distance of six feet.
OPEN, subject to change:
All PARA Property users will observe social distancing of at least six feet.
- Ol’ Colony Golf, will be open Wednesday – Monday, 7am-5pm
- Tuscaloosa Tennis Center Outdoor Courts are open
- PARA Parks located in the City of Tuscaloosa, 7am-7pm include:
Sokol Park, including trails, community gardens and Will May Dog Park
Snow Hinton Park
- PARA Parks that are open in the County, 7am-7ap, include:
Van de Graaff Park: Gate 1 Closed due to construction, Gate 2 Open
- Restrooms are open in Parks where there is heating and cooling
TEMPORARILY CLOSED until May 15, subject to change:
- All PARA Centers and programming, including sports
- Tuscaloosa Tennis Center indoor courts are closed, subject to change.
- All PARA Playgrounds
- Some PARA Parks are closed; please refer to listing above for openings. All parks not listed are CLOSED.
- Hurricane Creek Park is closed.
- Faucett Brothers Park at Faucett Center and Newt Hinton Park at Miller Center
The definition of Social Distancing is deliberately increasing the physical space between people – of at least six feet and keeping away from crowded spaces - to avoid spreading illness.
In addition to CDC recommendations, PARA is implementing or suggesting the following:
- PARA will not accept reservations for large groups (100+) until after May 15, subject to change.
- PARA understands there are concerns with large gatherings at this time, and we will work with rental parties to reschedule or cancel upcoming events as necessary.
PARA Closings and Cancellations
- The Frayed Knots Dance, scheduled for Saturday, March 14th will be rescheduled to later this Spring.
- PARA4LIFE Bingo at McAbee, Tuesday, March 17th and Breakfast & Bingo at Belk, Thursday, March 19th are cancelled.
All PARA4LIFE Dances including Monday at McAbee, Thursday & Friday at NPCC are cancelled for the remainder of March.
The PARA4LIFE day trip to BAMA Bucks is postponed until later this spring.
- Senior programming has been rescheduled until May 15, subject to change
- The Groundbreaking Ceremony for the All-Inclusive Playground, scheduled for March 24 will be postponed. We will announce a new date soon!
- Breakfast with the Easter Bunny has been postponed. Check back for dates.
- Therapeutic Recreation programming has been rescheduled to May 15, subject to change
- Effective March 29, PARA is postponing youth and adult athletics through May 15, subject to change.
- Large events and tournaments will be rescheduled, postponed or cancelled.
Facilities & Parks
- Effective March 17 at the close of business: All PARA Activity Centers are closed.
- All open parks will close at dusk each day.
- Tuscaloosa Tennis Center Indoor Courts are closed. Youth and adult clinics are postponed.
- All parks within the City of Tuscaloosa are closed. (Exceptions are listed below.)
- Newt Hinton Park is closed.
- Faucett Brothers Park is closed.
- Garden plots are closed.
- Playgrounds are closed.
- Park restrooms are closed.
- Effective March 17 at the close of business: PARAkids Day Camp is canceled.
- Extended day program at Rock Quarry is canceled.
Tuscaloosa Tennis Center
- Tuscaloosa Tennis Center is closed.
- Youth and adult clinics are postponed.
Ol' Colony Golf
- Ol' Colony golf is open Wednesday-Monday, 7am-5pm. Single rider carts only. Driving range is open. Bounce Back Grille has a limited menu of grab-n-go options.