PARA Announces Activity Center Reopenings with limits
May 11, 2020, 1:28pm
Tuscaloosa County Park & Recreation Authority announces that it will open six of its seven Activity Centers on May 12, with limitations. The McAbee Center will remain temporarily closed as its primary identity is as a Senior Center.
While taking into consideration health and safety recommendations from the Governor of Alabama, Alabama Department of Public Health, the CDC and local governments, Executive Director Gary Minor said, “We are pleased and prepared to reopen our Activity Centers with suggested limits. Exercising is an essential aspect of staying healthy and PARA is thankful for the opportunity to reopen this aspect of your park and recreation.”
“While Centers were closed, our staff deep cleaned inside and outside the buildings. We are happy to reopen on a limited basis with plans to gradually return to typical operating hours and programming as allowed and determined safe,” he said.
Ol’ Colony Golf has been and remains open daily except Tuesdays at 7am with last cart out at 4 pm, one rider per cart and social distancing. The grille remains open for take away only.
Tuscaloosa Tennis Center has been open with outdoor courts and is opening the Emily Baker Indoor Facility with social distancing and maximum of four players per court. Please visit tcpara.org/tennis for more details.
All Activity Center reopening hours are subject to change and plan for early closing to allow staff time to deep clean daily. Patrons are asked to refrain from entry if they have a fever or have been sick, wash their hands upon entry and exit and maintain at least six feet of social distancing.
Until further notice, all PARA members are welcome to utilize any of the six Activity Centers. PARA will open Activity Centers - except the McAbee Center – with the following operating hours:
Temporary Operating Hours for Belk, Faucett, Hughes, Miller, Tingle and Phelps Centers:
- Monday – Friday | Typical Opening hours | Close at 7pm
- Saturday | Typical Opening hours | Close at 1pm
- Sunday | Closed
- Credit for unused days in March will be applied to the month of May.
- Billing will resume with typical billing dates in June.
- Will be extended by two months to compensate for dates closed.
Fitness Classes and Equipment:
- When fitness classes resume - expected May 18 - they will be completed in accordance with social distancing recommendations and with modifications.
- There will be some hybridized classes, and others presented virtually via Zoom.
- Equipment layout has been modified to restrict access and maintain at least six feet of distance between pieces.
- Participants should bring their own personal water bottles and towels. No towel service or water fill stations will be provided.
- Water fountains, water fill stations, showers and lockers are temporarily closed.
- Childcare is not provided at this time.
- Indoor pools will be open with social distancing procedures in place.
- Water will slowly increase to typical operating temperature.
- Participants must bring their own balls.
- PARA will not provide balls for use.
- Please initial or identify your ball with a sharpie and only pick up/touch balls with your initials.
- Basketball will be played one person/household per goal.
Climbing Walls, Belay Tower and Playground Equipment:
All climbing walls, belay tower and indoor/outdoor playground equipment remain closed.
Activity Center Rentals:
Activity Center rentals are allowed as long as they comply with social distancing requirements and 50% of building capacity.
OTHER PARA INFORMATION:
PARA Parks & Park Rentals:
- All PARA Parks will be open daily 7am to 8 pm.
- NO field rentals at this time (this includes multipurpose fields).
- Shelters can be reserved with the following restrictions.
- NO bounce houses or inflatable water features.
- NO use of playgrounds (still closed per Governor’ order)
- Patrons must follow social distancing guidelines (groups subject to disbursement/shutdown by Rangers or TPD if not observed)
- NO rentals through June 4th from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m. due to parks currently closing at 8:00 p.m.
- Anyone requesting to hold an “event” involving patrons outside of immediate family must be approved individually. Must complete Permit Request Form and send to email@example.com
- Northport Community Center is available for rental however, only one rental party per day due to the inability to thoroughly clean and sanitize between rentals.
- Patrons must follow social distancing guidelines
- NO use of playground
- NO bounce houses or inflatable water features.
- NO rentals through June 4th from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m. due to parks closing at 8:00 p.m.
Youth and Adult Sports:
- We are diligently working with national and state sanctioning bodies to hold a delayed and modified season.
PARAkids Day Camp:
- PARA is pleased to welcome Casie Jones as the new Director of Youth Activities.
- We are working on scheduling with limitations and will make an announcement at a later date.
PARA encourages everyone to be safe, be kind and stay healthy. All information is subject to change.