PARA Announces Summer Day Camp and Sports Schedules
May 22, 2020, 9:10pm
Tuscaloosa County Park & Recreation Authority announces that it will open PARAkids Day Camp and play spring sports with a modified schedule.
While taking into consideration health and safety recommendations from the Governor of Alabama, Alabama Department of Public Health, the CDC and local governments, Executive Director Gary Minor said, “The PARA staff is working diligently to complete spring sports programs in accordance with all health and safety regulations.”
Youth and Adult Sports:
- We are carefully planning to host the spring sports season beginning May 23 with practices and June 15 with competitions, as directed by the Governor and ADPH.
- Participants/Parents should connect with their coaches about their participation in this modified season.
PARAkids Summer Day Camp:
- Will open with weekly registration on June 1 at Belk, Faucett, Miller, Phelps and Tingle Centers.
- Please visit https://www.tcpara.org/recreation/parakids/day-camp for more details.
- · Outdoor Pools: Blewitt Pool Complex in Bowers Park and Freeman Pool in Freeman Park will not open for the season.
- Indoor pools at Miller, Faucett and Tingle Centers are open with social distancing procedures in place.
- Harrison Taylor Splash Pad in Palmore Park and Evans Roshell Splash Pad are scheduled to open June 1.
- Swim lessons will begin June 15 at Faucett, Miller and Tingle Centers.
- Pool and indoor playground parties are available with advance registration and limits on groups sizes.
Ol’ Colony Golf is open daily except Tuesdays at 7am with last cart out at 4 pm, one rider per cart and social distancing. The grille remains open for take away only.
Tuscaloosa Tennis Center is open with temporarily modified hours and social distancing. Please visit www.tcpara.org/tennis for more details.
- Deluxe Membership: Credit for unused days in March has been applied to the month of May. Billing will resume with typical billing dates in June.
- Value Membership: Has been extended by two months from expiration to compensate for dates closed.
Fitness Classes and Equipment:
- Fitness classes have resumed in accordance with social distancing recommendations and modifications.
- There are some hybridized classes and others presented virtually via Zoom.
- Equipment layout has been modified to restrict access and maintain at least six feet of distance between pieces.
- Participants should bring their own personal water bottles and towels. No towel service or water fill stations will be provided.
- Water fountains, water fill stations, showers and lockers are temporarily closed.
- Participants must bring their own sports equipment including balls, racquets, etc.
- Please initial or identify your ball with a sharpie and only pick up/touch balls with your initials.
- Basketball will be played one person/household per goal.
- Belay Towers remain closed.
Temporary Operating Hours for Belk, Faucett, Hughes, Miller, Tingle and Phelps Centers:
- Monday – Friday | Typical Opening hours | Close at 7pm
- Saturday | Typical Opening hours | Close at 1pm
- Sunday | Closed
- Rentals are allowed as they comply with social distancing requirements and 50% of building capacity.
OTHER PARA INFORMATION:
- All PARA Parks will return to typical operating hours.
- All playground equipment is open.
- The Veterans Memorial Park Association has delayed their usual Memorial Day program with plans to host a joint Memorial Day and Veterans Day program on November 11, in Veterans Memorial Park.
- An announcement regarding the PARAkids Zone presented on July 4th in coordination with the City of Tuscaloosa’s annual “Celebration on the River” is expected on June 1.
PARA encourages everyone to be safe, be kind and stay healthy. All information is subject to change.