Safe Room General Information
When a tornado watch or warning is issued for Tuscaloosa County by the National Weather Service or an approved emergency management entity, the McDonald Hughes Community Safe Room operates as a short term weather event facility only and remains open until the cancellation of the tornado watch or warning. The McDonald Hughes Community safe Room was built to FEMA 361 standards and can withstand 250 MPH wind speeds.
The McDonald Hughes Community Safe Room can accept pets with their owners. (Click here for pet policy)
If you cannot locate a BARA (Best Available Refuge Area) location, the next preferred area generally is on the lowest floor of most buildings, away from windows and in the center of the building. View more information about sheltering in place.
McDonald Hughes Center Storm Shelter Location
The McDonald Hughes Center Community Safe Room is located on the north campus of the McDonald Hughes Community Center at 3101 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Tuscaloosa Al 35401
When the MDHCSR is opened for a tornado watch or warning, PARA & TPD law enforcement officials operate and staff the shelter. For your safety and the safety of others, please follow the guidance of these officials while you are in the shelter.
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Friday| 8am-8pm
- Saturday| 9am-3pm
- Free for members or $5 daily pass (Click here for Membership Information)
- Basketball court reservations or entire facility reservations are available upon request.
- Please note that all reservations are subject to "use at your own risk". In the event of storm shelter activation, the reservation or event will be immediately canceled.
Safe Room Use:
- The safe room will be opened to the public during tornado watches/warnings.
- Any daily users/rentals will be immediately canceled in the event of safe room activation.